Thursday, September 6, 2012

Activities! Activities!

activities

So far I think the hardest part about having two kiddies (a little less than two years apart) is making sure that the older one (Emma) is getting the most attention that I can possibly give her. I know (too well) how easy it is to use the television as a crutch, believe me I've seen more than my share of Poppy Cat, Super Why, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Angelina Ballerina and Sesame Street - so I've been trying to arm myself with activities that we'll both enjoy when going outdoors isn't an option or when I just can't get myself to leave the house (aka I haven't washed my hair in a week, my slimming black outfit is covered in spit-up, oh and let's not forget the grimy I forgot to brush my teeth thing!)

I have no plans to homeschool my kids but I've recently been obsessed with the idea of incorporating some pre-school homeschoolesque action up in here. The Montessori method came highly recommended by a friend, so I've been doing a lot of research online and at our local library. I'm excited to see how Emma will respond to it all. I don't plan on having a rigid schedule but I will definitely have some sort of structure that we can realistically stick to. My plan is to see how it goes and take it from there. She's starting preschool (early 2's program) next week - two days a week for two hours a day (it aint much but it's enough time to chug down a glass of something hard if push comes to shove - I kid). I'll definitely be sharing my favorite sources as soon as I sift through all of my notes.

I also signed up for an hour music class once a week. Unfortunately the place where we've been going decided to close its doors, so we'll be trying out a new Music and More with Kelly class this Fall (I hope she enjoys it as much as she enjoyed her Kindermusik classes - Miss Susan, we'll miss you!). Plus our local library offers a free story telling/sing-songy thing once a week that she also enjoys. It's only a 20 minute session but it motivates me to go to the library and we end up either going early or staying afterwards - she loves it there. Of course all of these activities will now be done with little Lucy in tow so I'm not sure how it will all go down but I'm pretty sure it won't be as organized as it sounds :)

Life is certainly a little daunting at the moment but I'm sure everything will fall into place, balance will be restored and one day J and I may even get more than 4.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Fingers crossed.

PS. Days 1 and 2 of just me and the girls went pretty well! I think I can definitely do this.

No comments: